Precautions after Knee Replacement
Knee Replacement Surgery is an important surgery that helps in correcting the posture and walking ability of any person. It’s a crucial decision that one has to ponder over a lot. And why not? There are ample amounts of Knee Replacement Surgeons out there, but choosing the best one is like picking up a needle from a bunch of haystacks. Seems very tough, doesn’t it?
Don’t worry, as we have enlisted some easy steps and considerations on how to find the best Joint Replacement Surgeon in Delhi and nearby areas as well as how to overcome postoperative stiffness.
What is Post-operative Knee Replacement stiffness?
Stiff knee syndrome or Arthrofibrosis is a condition that develops usually after a knee injury or surgery (such as knee replacement). With time, the scar tissue over the knee joint (in case of surgery, it is the incision mark) builds up inside the knee joint. This leads to shrinking and stiffening of the knee joint. This is a serious condition and one of the dreaded post-op knee replacement complications.
The person with arthrofibrosis starts losing the capability to walk and bend the knee properly. In severe cases, the inability becomes permanent and the person completely loses the knee’s range of motion. Therefore, avoiding the knee’s health after knee replacement surgery is like ignoring the potential risks and damages.
Symptoms of Arthrofibrosis or Knee Stiffness
- Flexed knee gait- Gait is the rhythm and form of walking. This can indicate the health of your knee alignment and movement. So if you are walking with bent knees, it can be a sign of stiffness and may indicate joint fibrosis.
- Pain in the Knee Joint- Usually the pain subsides after the surgery. However if you have persistent pain, it may be a sign of arthrofibrosis and you may require to pay a visit to your surgeon.
- Inflammation- If you observe and explain swelling around your knee joint after the surgery, it maybe due to arthrofibrosis.
- Weak muscles- If you are unable to bend your knee from the front, it may be due to weak quadricep muscles resulted from arthrofibrosis.
How is Arthrofibrosis Treated?
If you are being diagnosed with arthrofibrosis or stiffed knew joint post-knee replacement surgery, you may be required to undergo some treatment or even surgery. Given below is a list of some treatment options that are undertaken to overcome arthrofibrosis.
- MUGA (Manipulation Under General Anaesthesia)
In this type of treatment, your knee replacement surgeon will manipulate the knee joint to break the scar tissue. This is usually done under the administration of anesthesia.
It is a recent technique where an Arthroscopy trained surgeon makes use of minimally invasive methods to get rid of the scar tissue around the knee joint. The breaking of the scar tissue is called arthrolysis.
In severe cases, open surgery is recommended for the patient following which he/she has to undergo a physical therapy session also. He or she may also be asked to wear braces and perform vigorous exercise/activities.
Arthrofibrosis Preventive Measures
- Administration of CPM (Continuous Passive Motion) machine.
- Regular exercise
- Compression dressing
- Suction drain
Where Can You Find the Best Joint Replacement Surgeon in Delhi?
Dr. Biren Nadkarni is the best Knee Replacement surgeon in Delhi and nearby areas. He has performed thousands of joint replacement surgeries in a span of 20 years. He has brought a smile to many faces with his expertise and knowledge in the field of Joint Replacement Surgeries. So, if you are looking forward to consulting an experienced Joint Replacement Surgeon in Delhi, you must visit Dr. Biren Nadkarni.