UNICOMPARTMENTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT Surgery in Delhi
Dr Biren Nadkarni has specialization in performing Unicompartmental Knee Replacement surgery.
Unicompartmental Knee Replacement
A unicompartmental Knee Replacement Surgery includes resurfacing of only a portion of the knee joint. In a total knee replacement surgery, the complete knee joint (cartilages and bony parts) are removed and replaced with metal and plastic implants. It is a great option for those with only a portion of the damaged knee joint and who want to resurface the corresponding part only. Another good advantage of this type of knee treatment is that it allows a small incision and a short hospital stay. Dr. Biren Nadkarni is the best unicompartmental Knee Replacement surgeon in Delhi and has treated thousands of patients in his course of experience.
Unicompartmental Knee Replacement Description
In Knee Osteoarthritis, the cartilages and the attached bony parts get damaged. The damage may occur either throughout the joint or in a particular part(s). Our knee joint consists of the following three parts-
- Medial Compartment (inside of the knee joint)
- Lateral Compartment (outside of the knee joint)
- Patellofemoral Compartment (front of the knee joint)
Osteoarthritis limited to any part of the knee joint can be treated with a partial or unicompartmental Knee Replacement Surgery. In this surgery, only the damaged parts are replaced, while the healthy joint parts are conserved.
Orthopedic Evaluation & Procedure
At Bone & Joint Solutions, every little detail about the surgery is shared with the client.
- Dr. Biren Nadkarni evaluates his patience very keenly. Only a complete evaluation of the knee joint and the patient helps in detecting the problem and its subsequent treatment.
- Dr. Biren Nadkarni is Delhi’s leading Knee replacement surgeon who truly experiences and treats your problems. Once you get there, he listens patiently to any concerns and answers your queries.
- When a decision is made to have a unicompartmental Knee Replacement Surgery, the complications and risks of the surgery are explained to the patient. Surgery is planned after the elimination of risk factors and complete evaluation of the patient’s medical history, physical evaluation of the patient, various investigation methods such as X-rays, MRI, CT Scan, etc.
- The first step in the preparation of the surgery requires a careful administration of anesthesia by the anesthetic team. The type of anesthesia depends upon the conditions of the patient and is evaluated by an expert anesthesiologist.
- After the administration of anesthesia, Dr. Biren Nadkarni performs the surgery by making an incision at the site. The three parts of the knee are then examined to ensure that the cartilage damage is indeed limited to one part and that the ligaments are intact.
Partial knee replacement procedure has three main steps-
- Dr. Biren Nadkarni uses a saw to remove the cartilage from the damaged area of the knee in the first step.
- He then replaces the removed cartilage and bone with a metal covering that mimics the surface of the joint. This piece of metal is usually attached to the bone with cement.
- The last step includes placing a plastic insert between the two metal parts to create a smooth sliding surface.
Unicompartmental Knee Replacement Surgery Recovery Time
- Patients with partial knee arthroplasty generally have less postoperative pain and swelling, and rehabilitation is easier than patients with total knee arthroplasty.
- You may feel some pain after surgery, but Dr. Biren Nadkarni and his team will do their best to help you with the post-it rehabilitation.
- For pain management, many types of medications that help relieve pain such as, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and local anesthetics are prescribed.
- The patient will undergo physical rehabilitation under the guidance of a physical therapist. The rehabilitation program will enable the patient to regain the Lost movement and joint strength.
Unicompartmental Knee Replacement FAQs
Unicompartmental knee replacement usually lasts for 5 to 15 years. However, this period may vary depending upon the level of activity of the patient and various other factors.
For a partial knee replacement surgery, the right candidate is one who has only a part of one component of the knee joint damaged.
Medial Unicompartmental knee replacement surgery involves resurfacing of only the medial component of the knee joint.
Since unicompartmental knee replacement surgery involves resurfacing of only one part of the knee joint, the recovery time is very less and the patients spend only one day at the hospital after the surgery.
Yes, undergoing physical therapy after a unicompartmental knee replacement surgery is very important to help boost the bones' strength and mobility.
Consult Dr Biren Nadkarni for Unicompartmental Knee Replacement Surgery in Delhi, India