ACL Reconstruction The Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) is important for maintaining the...Read More
Best ACL Reconstruction Surgeon in Delhi
ACL or Anterior Cruciate Ligament is an essential part of the knee anatomy. This ligament helps in stabilizing the knee joint from the anterior part and connects the thigh bone (Femur) to the shin bone (Tibia). Under various circumstances such as while playing sports (most common), the ACL is likely to get torn.
Anatomy of the Knee Joint
The knee joint consists of a thigh bone (femur), shin bone (Tibia), and the Knee cap (Patella). It is a major weight-bearing joint that takes up a major weight of the body. Two bones are always connected with the help of the ligaments. In a knee joint, four primary ligaments maintain the stability of the joint –
- Collateral Ligaments– It consists of two ligaments- medial and lateral. As the name suggests, the collateral ligaments maintain the stability of the joint from sideways and from outside.
- Cruciate Ligament– It consists of two ligaments- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) and Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL). The ACL stabilizes the knee joint from the front, while the PCL stabilizes the knee joint from the backside. The anterior cruciate ligament is present in the middle of the knee. This prevents the tibia from sliding in front of the thigh and provides rotational stability to the knee.
What is an ACL Injury?
The ACL injury is a tear or overstretching of the essential knee joint ligament- ACL. Furthermore, it is evident that in more than 50% of the cases, during an ACL Injury, other structures of the knee joint such as articular cartilage, meniscus, or other ligaments are involved as well. These structures get damaged too with the anterior cruciate ligament.
Grades of ACL Injury
A ligament injury is called a sprain. Depending upon the severity of the injury, an ACL Injury is divided into the following types-
Grade 1– In this grade of injury, the ligament is mildly damaged. The ACL is only stretched slightly but is perfectly able to keep up the knee joint.
Grade 2– This is also considered a partial tear. In this, the ACL stretches to a point where it becomes loose.
Grade 3– Now this is the third and the final grade where a complete tear of the ACL takes place. The ligament is torn into two pieces and your knee joint has become very unstable. This is the grade that requires surgical intervention. ACL reconstruction is the name of the surgery that is done to correct the ACL tear.
Following are the few common reasons why one observes an ACL Injury-
- When a person changes direction rapidly he or she is liable to get an ACL injury.
- When a person stops suddenly while running or jumping or doing some intense workout.
- Head-on collision with the ball while playing any sport.
The treatment for the AC tier depends upon the great and individual patient. A young person in third grade would require reconstruction surgery to return to normal activities.
There are two types of treatments for an ACL Injury-
Non-surgical– This type of treatment includes bracing and physical therapy. Bracing includes support which could be given by using crutches while physical therapy includes treatment through exercises for strengthening the knee joint.
Surgical– The surgical procedure includes a reconstruction surgery as most of the ACL tears can’t be rebuilt, therefore a reconstruction surgery is opted out for the treatment of an ACL tear. Under conventional reconstruction surgery, an arthroscopic procedure is undertaken which involves minimalistic invasion and very little time.
ACL Reconstruction Surgery in Delhi
During an ACL reconstruction surgery, the following methods are involved-
- ACL reconstructive surgery uses a graft to replace a ligament. Autograft is the most common grafts that use hamstring (patellar tendon) or one of your hip tendons. The quadriceps tendon above the knee is sometimes used. Another option is a tissue allograft from a deceased donor.
- Reconstructive surgery is usually only used for dislocated fractures (separation of ligaments and bone fragments from the rest of the bone). In this case, the bone fragments attached to the ACL are reattached to the bone.
- ACL surgery is usually performed by inserting surgical instruments through small cuts and incisions in the knee which is the latest technique and called an Arthroscopic surgery.
Steps Involved in ACL Reconstruction Surgery
Below are the steps involved in an ACL Reconstruction surgery-
- Arthroscopy– This is more a diagnosis procedure to confirm the amount of damage and structures involved. It also helps in planning for harvesting the tissue graft from the same person’s body or another person’s body.
- Graft Harvesting– This procedure involves harvesting the graft taken from a tendon present in the knee cap or hamstring or front thigh. The Orthopedic surgeon extracts part of the tendon from the harvest to make up a new ACL.
- ACL Reconstruction– This involves careful implantation of the new ACL after examining the site and fixing the new ACL to the thigh bone and the shin bone and holding it in the place using fastening devices.
Recovery Time After an ACL Reconstruction Surgery
Though the person is discharged the same day of the surgery, recovering from an ACL reconstructive surgery may take up as long as six months. This involves a full rehabilitation program post-surgery consisting of care and physical therapy.
Going with an Arthroscopic procedure has many advantages over the conventional open form of reconstruction surgery-
- It is less time-consuming.
- It involves using very small incisions so the development of scars is very less.
- This type of treatment is also undertaken for diagnostic purposes.
- It has lesser risks than the conventional methods.
Where Can I Find the Best Arthroscopic Surgeon in Delhi?
Arthroscopic surgery is a complicated procedure, so it should be only performed by an experienced Orthopedic surgeon. In Delhi, finding a proficient and we’ll experience Orthopedic surgeon is like finding a needle in the haystack. However, you don’t have to worry about it as we are hereby listing the best Arthroscopic surgeon in Delhi.
Dr. Biren Nadkarni of Joint & Bone Solutions is the best Arthroscopic and ACL Reconstruction Surgeon in Delhi. With a profound knowledge and deep experience of more than 20 years, he has successfully performed thousands of Arthroscopic surgeries including ACL reconstruction surgery.
Physical therapy after an ACL reconstruction surgery is very important to resume the normal activity of the knee joint. Physical therapy focuses on regaining the normal range of motion of the knee joint along with its strengthening. Your physical therapist will set a defined set of programs for your rehabilitation after an ACL reconstruction surgery. This program depends upon the type of surgery involved.
Dr. Biren Nadkarni of Joint & Bone Solutions is the best arthroscopic and ACL reconstruction surgeon in Delhi with experience of more than 20 years in the relevant field.
Patients can go for weight-bearing exercises assisted or unassisted within 2-4 weeks. However, it is done only for short periods. After 10-12 weeks, one can take long walks except brisk walking, light jogging, and even plyometric exercises. Full recovery of ACL reconstruction is 6-12 months or more with physical therapy.
Depending upon the complexity of the surgery, the cost may vary. Please consult Dr. Biren Nadkarni about the procedure and the cost.
Consult Dr Biren Nadkarni for ACL Reconstruction Surgery