Hip Replacement Surgery Hip replacement surgery is not a new...Read More
TOTAL HIP REPLACEMENT SURGERY IN DELHI
Dr Biren Nadkarni, Best Total Hip Replacement Surgeon in Delhi
The hip joint is one of the largest joints of the human body. With the type ball and socket, this joint enables a high range of movements and is considered a highly mobile joint of the body. The joint is made up of two bones- the acetabulum cavity of the pelvic bone and the long bone femur. The head of the femur articulates with the acetabulum cavity of the pelvic bone. Besides the bones, the joint also comprises various ligaments and a thin synovial membrane. This membrane secretes synovial fluid that helps in preventing friction between the bones while articulating. This liquid or fluid when tends to recede or decrease, the joint starts getting degraded or damaged. This is what we call arthritis and is the main culprit behind joint damage.
Total Hip Replacement Causes
- Osteoarthritis- The most common cause of a damaged hip joint is osteoarthritis. The “wear and tear” of the joint normally occurs due to aging and the bones rub against each other. This leads to inflammation and pain in the joint area. The majorly affected joints are knee and hip joints.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis- This is another form of arthritis that is caused due to genetic changes. It is an autoimmune disorder in which the body cells start attacking the body’s own joints. This results in damage to the joint and subsequent inflammation and pain.
- Post-traumatic arthritis- Sometimes, severe injuries may render your hip joint damaged and prone to pain. This, in the long run, leads to stiffness due to the non-mobility of the joint.
- Osteonecrosis- This is reduced blood supply to the femoral or hip part as a consequence of injury or accident. The reduced blood supply results in cell death called necrosis. As a result, inflammation and pain at the site occur and jointly develop arthritis.
- Childhood Hip Disease- Sometimes, wrong placement of the bone from childhood results in many hip problems and later arthritis in life.
Before Total Hip Replacement Surgery
After Total Knee Replacement Surgery
Total Hip Replacement Procedure
Just like replacement surgeries, total hip replacement surgery also involves the replacement of bony parts or cartilages with prosthetics. Given below are the steps of procedures involved in total hip replacement surgery or hip arthroplasty.
- Replacement of Femoral Head- The head of the injured femur is removed and a metal rod is inserted into the hollow center of the femur. The femoral shaft is either cemented or “pressed fit” into the bone.
- Placement of the Metallic Bone- At the top of the shaft, metal or ceramic ball is placed. This ball replaces the damaged femoral head that has been removed.
- Placement of a Metal Socket- The damaged cartilaginous surface (acetabulum) of the socket is removed and replaced with a metal hole. Sometimes screws or cement are used to hold it in place.
Placement of Medical grade Spacer- A plastic, ceramic, or metal spacer is placed between the new ball and socket to provide a smooth sliding surface. This is a medical-grade spacer.
At Joints & Bone Solutions
How Dr. Biren Nadkarni Evaluates His Patients
- Since the main goal of Dr. Biren Nadkarni is taking care of his patients, he is arduously dedicated to providing the best and the most affordable treatment solutions for his patients.
- We can’t determine the exact cost of the surgery as it totally depends upon numerous factors.
- But one thing is very sure with Dr. Biren Nadkarni is that he will suggest surgery only when it is very necessary and all other alternatives have failed.
- When a patient enters the hospital, he is taken well care of and is listened to very carefully.
- Once the problem of the patient is heard, he or she is examined keenly by Dr. Biren Nadkarni.
- Only after a full examination and if required, surgery is prescribed to the patient.
- Every minute detail about the surgery is discussed with the patient and his family.
- Once discussed, the aftermath of the procedure as well as the risks associated with the surgery are told to the patient.
- Patients are asked to quit various habits that may harm the procedure right before the surgery.
- Total Hip Replacement Post surgery, the patient undergoes a complete rehabilitation program that includes Physiotherapy and mobility to restore the lost movement and strength.
- To reduce the pain of the surgery, Dr. Biren administers the patient with painkillers (NSAIDs).
Due to various reasons, the hip joint of the person gets damaged. Due to this, the ambulation of the person is hampered. To overcome this and when all the alternative forms of treatment fail, total hip replacement surgery is recommended to the patients with severe suffering.
After a hip replacement surgery, the patient is hospitalized for 1-3 days usually. However, the stay can be longer depending upon the condition of the patient.
Observing slight pain and discomfort following any surgery is very common. However, if the pain persists for a longer period than the intended time, it is advised to contact your surgeon as soon as possible.
Dr. Biren Nadkarni is the best hip replacement surgeon in Delhi. With the experience of more than 20 years, he has accomplished thousands of knee and hip replacement surgeries. At Joints & Bone Solutions, he with his team has helped thousands of people to gain back the lost confidence by making them walk pain-free.
Consult Dr Biren Nadkarni for Total Hip Replacement Surgery in Delhi