REVISION HIP REPLACEMENT Surgery in Delhi
Dr Biren Nadkarni has specialization in performing Revision Hip Replacement surgery.
Many times, the primary total hip replacement fails or the joint area gets infected. The patient develops excruciating pain at the site and ultimately, the movement of the person is affected negatively. To overcome this, a revision Hip Replacement Surgery is prescribed to the patient. In this process, the person undergoes a second operation to get rid of some or all parts of the prosthesis from the primary surgery. This surgery is therefore marked as one of the important surgeries of the Orthopedic department.
Even though each procedure has identical goals is to relieve pain and improve performance and quality of life. The revision surgery is completely different from the primary total hip replacement. Revision hip replacement may be a longer, more advanced procedure. It needs intensive planning, also because of the use of specialized implants and tools, so as to get the desired result.
In a primary total hip replacement, the hip joint is replaced by an implant or a prosthesis. This prosthesis can be made up of metal, plastic, and/or ceramic components. Even though most hip replacements are very successful, some may become problematic over time. This event calls for revision Hip Replacement Surgery.
The revised hip replacement surgery is of various types. In a few hip replacement surgeries, only some parts of the prosthesis are replaced with new ones. While many surgeries require the replacement of the whole prosthesis along with the bony parts. These bony parts are rebuilt using metal pieces or bone parts.
When is Revision Hip Replacement Surgery Recommended?
Following are the reasons where Revision Hip Replacement Surgery are recommended to the patient-
- Loosened Implant- For a hip joint to work properly, the prosthetic parts must stay firmly attached to the site. Since these prosthetic parts are either cemented or pressed-fit into the bone, chances are that the bone doesn’t outgrow the prosthesis or it grows but the prosthetic parts tend to loosen up pertaining to various high-intensity activities. This causes severe pain in the hip joint.
- Expired Prosthesis- Many times young patients require hip replacement surgery. As a result, they may surpass the life expectancy of the primary hip replacement prosthetic parts.
- Osteolysis- Minute matter that damages the cup’s plastic liner gathers across the hip joint. This is then attacked by the body’s immune system. This immune reaction additionally harms the healthy bone across the implant, leading to a situation known as osteolysis. In osteolysis, the bone surrounding the implant gets damaged which renders the implant unstable.
- Infection- Sometimes, the surgery site develops an infection. This occurs when bacteria surround the joint. This leads to sepsis and pus formation. Eventually, the joint loses its strength and mobility. The patient loses his/her ambulatory power. Since the severity of the infection is hard to determine, your orthopedic surgeon performs revision hip replacement surgery to overcome the problem. The cure surgery is of two types- Debridement (partial removal of the implants) and Staged surgery (complete removal of the implants). The staged surgery is again a combination of two surgeries performed at an interval of several weeks.
- Fracture- Sometimes fracture of the hip bone or the femoral head may also develop pain and loss of Ambulatory power. However, the decision of revision hip replacement surgery is solely taken by your Orthopedic surgeon only. At bone and joint solution, Dr. Biren Nadkarni examines his patience deeply to decide on revision hip replacement surgery.
At Joint & Bone Solution
- Dr. Biren Nadkarni is the best revision hip replacement surgeon in Delhi who will look after your problems in the most genuine and experienced manner.
- Upon your arrival, all your problems will be heard patiently and then a complete examination will be done by Dr. Biren Nadkarni.
- Once the decision of revision hip replacement surgery is made, the complications and risks associated with the surgery are explained to the patient.
- Once the factors associated with risks are eliminated (food habits, lifestyle, etc.), the preparation for the surgery is started.
- The first step in the preparation of the surgery requires a careful administration of anesthesia by the anesthetic team.
- The type of anesthesia depends upon the conditions of the patient and is evaluated by an expert anesthesiologist.
- After the administration of anesthesia, Dr. Biren Nadkarni performs the surgery by making an incision at the site.
- After that, the infected or primary implants are removed. If the cause of the surgery is infection is performing a staged surgery, then temporary cement spacers are inserted and a second surgery is performed after a few weeks to place the new implants.
- Once the surgery is performed, the patient is kept under supervision at the hospital for 3-5 days (actual hospital stay depends upon the person’s condition).
- While this stay, Dr. Biren Nadkarni and his proficient team look after the patient very carefully.
- For pain management, Dr. Biren Nadkarni uses a combination of analgesic drugs suggest nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and local anesthetics.
- Physical therapy is prescribed to the patient for regaining the lost strength and mobility of the joint.
- For overcoming the problem of blood clot formation post-surgery, the patient is advised to wear special graded compression stockings and compression boots. Blood thinners are also administered to the patient for reducing blood clot formation.
- To overcome the risk of infection, antibiotics are prescribed to the patient.
For putting more weight on your hips, you will feel comfortable about 6-8 weeks after surgery. For returning to work and other daily activities, it usually takes 12 to 26 weeks (3 to 6 months).
Over time, primary hip replacement may not work for a variety of reasons. In this case, your doctor may recommend a second surgery, in which the original prosthesis is partially or completely removed and replaced with a new one. This procedure is called a revision total hip replacement.
This procedure can take 2-4 hours, and a variety of techniques can be used for re-surgery which includes removal of old prostheses (sockets, pads, trunk, and/or femoral head) and preparing the bone for new implants (base and femur).
The surgery is performed under the administration of anesthesia. However, observing pain pre and post-surgery is very common and can be reduced with the help of pain management drugs.
Dr. Biren Nadkarni is the best revision hip replacement surgeon in Delhi and nearby area
Consult Dr Biren Nadkarni for Revision Hip Replacement Surgery