Hip Replacement Surgery
Hip replacement surgery is not a new term. It is in fact, one of the most successful and important surgeries of the Orthopaedic field. Almost every Orthopaedic surgeon has or wants to hold expertise in joint replacement surgeries. Oftentimes patients who are looking forward to getting a hip replacement surgery done become skeptical about the results. Hands down. You are going to know every single detail about the surgery along with the best Hip Replacement surgeon in Delhi and nearby areas in this article.
What is Hip Replacement Surgery?
Hip Replacement is a corrective surgery undertaken to correct the damaged hip joint. Pertaining to the damage, the patient is unable to walk properly (loss of ambulatory power) and has excruciating pain in the hip joint. To overcome this problem and when all the other alternative treatments fail, your Orthopedic surgeon will recommend Hip Replacement Surgery.
Anatomy of The Hip Joint
Before we dive into what hip replacement surgery is, we must know what a hip joint looks like. The hip joint is made up of two bones, Pelvis (hip bone) and Femur (Thighbone). The head of the femur bone articulates with the acetabulum cavity of the pelvic bone. Besides the tough bones, the joint also comprises ligaments and tendons. The joint is surrounded by a membrane called the synovial membrane that secretes synovial fluid. Do you know the function of this fluid? It is to decrease the friction between the bones and help in easy movement.
For every damage, there is a reason. Similarly, for a damaged hip joint, there are various reasons such as-
- Arthritis- This is the main reason behind stiff hip joints and endless pain. In arthritis, the ends of the bones involved in the joint rub against each other leading to inflammation. Arthritis is of majorly two types- osteoarthritis (caused due by obesity and age) and Rheumatoid arthritis (a genetic disorder leading to the self-destruction of joints).
- Osteonecrosis- Any injury to the hip joint such as fracture or dislocation may result in cessation or reduction of blood supply to the part. This results in the death of many cells and subsequently, the ends of the joints come closer. This finally results in the development of arthritis.
- Childhood Hip Disease- Many times, A few babies and children have hip problems. Despite the fact that the problems are efficiently treated all through adolescence, they may still reason arthritis later on in existence. This happens because the hip might not grow generally, and the joint surfaces are affected.
Hip Joint Replacement Surgery is performed by a highly proficient joint replacement surgeon. It is also called Hip Arthroplasty. In this surgery, the damaged bone and the associated cartilage are removed and replaced with prosthetic parts. The replacement occurs in the following types-
- Replacement of Damaged Femoral Head- The damaged femoral head is removed and replaced with a metal stem that is placed into the hollow center of the femur. The femoral stem may be either cemented or “press-fit” into the bone.
- Placement of Metal Ball- A metal or ceramic ball is placed at the top part of the stem replacing the damaged femoral head.
- Medical-grade Spacer- A medical-grade spacer is fitted between the new ball and the socket to allow smooth movement.
Currently, various types of structures and materials are used for hip arthroplasty. They have two main components. The ball is made of very thin metal or ceramic material and socket component which is made up of durable plastic, ceramic, or metal cup, which may have an outer metal shell. Your Joint Replacement surgeon can “press” the component against the bone, allowing the bone to grow over the component, or glue it in place. The decision to compress or bond a component is based on several factors such as bone quality and strength. Combinations of cement rods and cementless couplings are also available.
Hip Replacement Surgery usually takes from 1-3 hours depending upon the conditions of the patient. During the surgical procedure, your Hip Replacement Surgeon will first remove damaged cartilage and bone parts and then replace them with prosthetic parts made up of metal, plastic, and ceramic.
The recovery of hip replacement surgery depends upon various factors such as-
- Patient’s conditions.
- Experience of the surgeon.
- Post-surgical care.
Who is the Best Hip Replacement Surgeon in Delhi and nearby areas?
Dr. Biren Nadkarni is the best Knee and Hip Replacement Surgeon in Delhi and nearby areas. With an experience of more than 20 years in Joint Replacement surgeries and foreign fellowships, he and his team have changed the lives of many people suffering from impaired mobility.
Orthopedic Evaluation by Dr. Biren Nadkarni
This is how Dr. Biren Nadkarni evaluates his patients before the surgery-
- Evaluation of Medical History- Dr. Biren Gather information about your general health and ask questions about the severity of hip pain and how it affects your ability to participate in daily activities. This will allow him to decide on surgery properly.
- Physical Evaluation- This evaluation will help Dr. Biren Nadkarni physically examine the patient. This helps in evaluating hip strength, hip mobility, and alignment.
- Investigations- For proper viewing of the insides of the joint, Dr. Biren Nadkarni recommends the patient to take an X-RAY test, if further required, the patient is also asked to take order tests such as MRI to evaluate the nuances of the joints.
- The decision of the Surgery- Only after everything is analyzed in detail, Dr. Biren Nadkarni decide on hip replacement surgery.
- Preparing Your Skin- Dr. Biren Nadkarni is a highly experienced surgeon who gets into the minute details and also evaluates his patients for any kind of skin infection before the surgery.
- Preparing the Patient- Besides the skin, Dr. Biren Nadkarni also asks the patient to stop taking certain medications prior to the surgery which may pose a risk to the patient.
- Weight loss- The main cause of osteoarthritis is increased weight. Dr. Biren Nadkarni advises his patients to lose weight before the surgery for eliminating any post-surgical risk.
- Counseling- The counseling of the patient and his family members is off-track planning of the surgery but is required. This helps the patient in getting prepared for the surgery and reduces any kind of fear of the surgery or surgical equipment.
- Anesthesia- On the day of the surgery, the anesthetic team of Dr. Biren Nadkarni administers the appropriate type of anesthesia to the patient. The evaluation of the type of anesthesia completely depends upon the conditions of the patient.
- Post-surgical Care- Dr. Biren Nadkarni and his team take care of the patient even after the surgery is done. While the patient is in the hospital after the surgery, he and his team make sure that all the comfort and rehabilitation programs of the patient are taken care of. Pain killer drugs are prescribed to the patient for reducing post-surgical pain. For preventing infection antibiotics are prescribed to the patient and for eliminating the risk of blood clot formation, blood thinners, support hoses, inflatable leg coverings, and ankle pump exercises are suggested to the patient.
- Physical Therapy- Post-surgical Physiotherapy of the patient is very important to regain The lost strength and power of the legs. At bone and Joints Solutions, Dr. Biren Nadkarni and his team make sure that the patient undergoes regular Physiotherapy.
- Home Program- Proper home care is also advised to the patient where several precautions are suggested to avoid developing post-surgical risks such as blood clot formation, impaired mobility, etc. This is an important step that shouldn’t be missed at all.
If you are looking forward to getting hip replacement surgery done in Delhi, you should certainly consider consulting Dr. Biren Nadkarni for his expert advice and treatment.